leaderboardad

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Andhra Avakai

 Being an Andhrite how can I forget very own avakai (mango pickle) in summer season. I grew up watching every household known to me busy in "avakai" making in summer season. It was like a festival for me and Bro which included  2-3 days of hard work during our summer vacation. Mom and dad used to bring 25-30 big mangoes cut into pieces(the merchants cut them themselves and sell) and lots of mustard powder, chilli powder, garlic pods. Me and my Bro used to help mom in making  at least 3-4 varieties of pickles .(Avakai, bellam avakai ie sweet mango pickle , magayi, thokku pachadi) .This avakai I made it with help of my neighbor aunty. Trust me she is expert in pickles. She was my only "pickle god" when I was pregnant . She gave me continuous supply of "chintakai" or raw Imli /tamarind chutney. I had day long sickness during pregnancy and her pickle was the firs thing i ate before I ate anything else. It reduced my sickness :) . So under her guidance this is the recipe. I didnt have the courage to do it in large scale, so I used 7 small raw mangoes .
INGREDIENTS :-
Raw mangoes :- 6-7 small (Chopped into pieces, there are special variety of mangoes for pickles. Firstly they should have seed in them and they should be sour enough. After chopping into pieces you find thin layer towards seed of each piece. You need to remove that)
Rai powder/Mustard powder :- 1 1/4 cup (this is available in market. If its not grind 200 gms of rai powder and take a cup)
Salt :- crystal sat(1 cup)
Chilli powder :- 1 cup
Peanut oil/Groundnut oil :- 2 cups
METHOD :-
Salt crystals

Made into coarse powder

After mixing
  1. Take crystal salt and grind it into coarse powder. I attached pictures below for your reference.
  2. In a vessel mix together rai powder, chilli powder and salt with hand or spatula. The measures should be exactly taken. You can adjust anything if needed later.
  3. Take oil in another vessel, take the mango pieces dip them in oil and drop them in rai-chilli-salt mixture. Dipping in oil  ensures that the mixture is well coated to the pieces.
  4. After adding all mango pieces add the remaining oil into the mixture. mix well and close the lid over night.
  5. At this stage you can add garlic pods
  6. Next day morning if you find if any of ingredient is less you can add them.
  7. Eat with hot rice ,ghee/gingelly oil :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing my favourite Andhra Avakai making process.It looks simple and esay with little care. Can't wait to taste the homemade and handemade Avakai. This is going to make my rainy and winter seasons interesting Thank you

    ReplyDelete